Sunday, May 27, 2007

Daddy time

The end of the school year is approaching fast. In the next couple of weeks we're planning a full day of touring downtown Chicago, a ballet recital and the dress rehearsal before hand, a piano recital, and a couple of end of school programs. We've scheduled a short trip to Minnesota to visit Granma Susan, and in a blink of an eye, another school year has passed.

A couple of weeks ago I was invited to Author's Night at my son's school. The second graders had been working hard all year writing, illustrating, and publishing their own books. We were treated to a special reading by the authors themselves. I was amazed at the children's level of imagination and intelligence.

My son was so proud of his two publications. One was a mostly true, but slightly embellished, narrative of his seventh birthday party at the JCC in San Antonio. I was thrilled that it made such an impression on him, but it was bittersweet, too. I realized how much he's been missing his friends. He described the games they played, the friends around him, and a fictional play that followed the party.

His second story was his version of Harry Potter's eighth book: "Harry Potter and the Alien". It was so funny and creative, I beamed as I read it. He told a story of a green alien with six eyes, two red, two green, and two blue, and a foot and a wheel, who came to Earth with evil intention. Harry, Ron, and Hermione, of course, saved the day.

Are you playing attention, Ms. Rowling?

My son just completed reading the second in the actual series of Harry Potter books, which, in my mind, calls for another celebration. Pizza, cupcakes, and the Chamber of Secrets DVD are on the docket for yet another acknowledgment of my seven year old's superior academic accomplishments! I'm not sure he'll have read all six by the time the seventh will be released, but he'll have something special to look forward to, assuming nobody spoils the surprise ending for him.

In addition to his reading and writing skills, we're also quite proud of his athletic prowess. My son has shown tremendous improvement in baseball, thanks to a newly emerged dad, free from his scholarly cocoon for the time being. The boys have been spending time together playing catch, working on my son's south paw fast ball, and grasping the fundamentals of batting. It is such a pleasure to see them together, relaxing, playing, and spending time together. His pitching is not the only thing to benefit from having dad around.

I, too have been taking advantage of the fortuitous convergence of some extra free days and sunshine. I've taken my kids out to some beautiful playgrounds and parks for unbridled frolicking and some tennis.

But I'm old news.

Having daddy home and available is the real treat, and the kids are making the most of his attention.

And that's exactly as it should be.

1 Comments:

Blogger RaggedyMom said...

LOL, today we went out for a quick shop and my kids were so excited to be with their Papa that he had to push both carts!

It must be nice to get involved in your son's schoolwork now that he's at a more schoolwork-y age - I miss the literary side of being a teacher and can't wait to get into that with Ann.

5/27/2007 9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home