Monday, January 15, 2007

Postscript

Saturday night after the big party, my husband took the car's remote key pad, cleaned off the circuit board, got a lift to Skokie, and unlocked the car and deactivated the alarm with one click. The next day I got a call from a friend in Skokie,

"Where you in Skokie for Shabbes? Why didn't you tell me? I saw your car!"

Nope. My car was in Skokie for Shabbes staring forlornly into the delicious window displays of Illinois Nut and Candy. I was at home, thinking forlornly about the truffles.

The car made it back home Saturday evening, and life went (mostly) back to normal. Today is Martin Luther King Jr. day. The big kids had school, so I spent the morning with a friend, eating breakfast and walking around the mall, pushing my barefoot baby in her stroller. Nature child kicked off her boots the moment we enter the building. I had to explain this repeatedly to people who looked at those tiny little sausages disapprovingly.

Martin Luther King Jr. represented the best of humanity. An indomitable spirit seeking to live the peace he aspired to for us all. I celebrated his dream by snapping and yelling at my kids like a psychotic lunatic all day. My energy, patience and humor drained out of me an hour after my husband took off for the library. The weekend finally caught up with me.

I've sent the last kid off to bed. He's talking to himself, inhabiting an imaginary world of his own creation, loudly. It's time for me to crawl into bed and pray that my less than ideal parenting won't scar the kids for life. And pray that I won't be woken up at 4:00 am by a child wanting to steal my covers. And pray that I wake up a calmer, cheerier, funnier mom and wife.

Please, God, turn me into Mary Poppins!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home