Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Mother's day, redux

We are on a time delay in my family. Birthdays are celebrated in slow motion over a month long span, holidays and gifts rarely coincide. We don't get anywhere on time.

We stretched out our little girl's birthday so long, that by the time her official birthday party rolled around (as opposed to the family birthday party and the day care birthday party), she asked if she was 5 now!

The birthday party went surprisingly smoothly. We held it at the Witte natural history and science museum in a big auditorium. About a dozen 3 to 5 year olds ran around the tables and the stage, decorated foam princess and prince tiaras, and wrapped each other up in rolls of toilet paper. There was a unifying theme in there somewhere, but it was lost in the giggles and glee. We finished up with an ice cream cake - chocolate, of course, and gift baggies for the kids. And after an hour of fun and snacks, I sent them out to explore the real princess tiaras of the Fiesta Parade exhibit, and the real mummy in the Egyptian exhibit. My 4 year old glowed with the excitement of being the cause of such a big fuss.

That afternoon we packed up the kids and sent them to my parent's house, while my husband and I celebrated Mother's Day a couple of weeks late, at a cushy hotel downtown. It was 24 hours of bliss - no kids, no work, no phones or email. We treated ourselves to ice cream and coffee, and shared a drink at an Irish pub. It doesn't sound like much to folks who regularly summer at the beach, or jet off to a spa from time to time, but for me and my husband it was 24 hours of time we stole for ourselves, and it couldn't have been any better.

In the meantime, my kids got to share a truly meaningful Memorial Day with their grandparents. And on time! My father served in the Korean War as a first petty officer in the U.S. Navy. He was honored at the Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg Texas as a representative of his ship. My kids sat right by his side during the entire ceremony, and stood proudly with their Grandpa as they saluted the stars and stripes and sang the Star Spangled Banner. It was an experience I hope they never forget, and I am so thankful they had that opportunity to share it with their Grandpa.

These are the special moments I will cling to: the birthday parties, the romantic getaways, and the ties to our family and our past. We are so fortunate to have these magical memories to share with the people we love. I pray the thousand miles between us won't diminish them.

The time delay certainly hasn't!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home