Thursday, August 24, 2006

Dreams and wishes

The Mezuzahs are up, the apartment is officially a home, and law school orientation begins tomorrow. The moment of reckoning is upon us and my husband has been a flurry of activity. He's been helping me get the apartment set up, keeping the kids entertained, setting up bank accounts, getting his student ID and his new driver's license, parking permits, and city permits. He went downtown and purchased his textbooks this morning.

I got a call from the bank concerned about an unusually large charge from somewhere in downtown Chicago.

Unusually large? I asked.

Yep. Unusually large, unless you're comparing it to the unusually large amount we spent on furniture and the monstrous check I just wrote for my kids' Jewish education.

Unusually heavy, too. Law school books carry some heft. Poor guy came back home shlepping a hundred pounds of wisdom in three plastic bags. Getting them home is just the beginning. He's actually got to read them, now.

Despite this, my husband is positively giddy. He is ready to be a student again. He got his class schedule, his syllabi, and his first assignments. He's in heaven. Me? I have my first interview for a job next week. This is not my idea of heaven. In fact, the stress has been effecting me in peculiar ways.

I've been having strange dreams lately.

I dreamt my mom saved the universe by cooking a giant vat of chicken soup to trap sickly Klingons in the kitchen of the starship we were on. No, I'm not a secret Trekkie. But, maybe I'm secretly in awe of my mom's power in the kitchen!

I dreamt that I was enrolled in comedian school. I was confident in the research and scholarly aspects of the program. The practical "stand-up" exam terrified me. The most peculiar thing about this dream is that I'm the last person on this planet who would become a comedienne. We often joke that my sense of humor was surgically removed when my first child was born. I suspect that actually may be close to the truth.

My dream last night took me back to Dublin, Ireland, where close to twenty years ago I managed to visciously break a heart and get myself virtually banned from visiting the Emerald Isle again. In my dream, I was confronted by my ex-fiance's mother, and I begged her forgiveness for the pain I caused her and her family. The whole family was there as I remember them from so many years back. No forgiveness was granted.

What do these odd, vivid dreams have to do with my husband starting law school? Why is my subconscious mind churning out fantastic futures and painful pasts? What lessons, if any, are to be derived from this amalgam of random neural firings? Food, fear, redemption, and humor. The key to making it through the next three years is in there somewhere.

I got the new camera up and running, so here are a few photo updates:


My mom reading to the girls on my
new Ikea sleeper sofa!



My little man showing off his new loft bed





Celebrating my son's seventh birthday
My son making his special wish
Mom and the kids by the waters
of Lake Michigan