Monday, August 14, 2006

Comfort foods

We've been here for two weeks, and finally, the last of the boxes has been unpacked, the paintings have been hung, and the dining room set has been ordered.

We're in.

I can't say we're feeling at home here, yet. That will take longer. We're still two weeks from a routine. My husband and the kids are two weeks from school, and I'm two weeks from sanity. I do have to find a job and this is weighing pretty heavily on me at the moment, especially since we just dropped a couple K on the dining room furniture. I've really been looking forward to doing some sightseeing with my mom and the kids, so I was particularly incensed when my husband suggested he take the family on an outing tomorrow while I pound the pavement for a job. Of course, he's right, but I'd much rather check out the Sears tower than hawk my intellectual wares.

On the bright side, I had my first kosher Chinese take-out today.

My mom has been in town for a couple of days now. As predicted, she grudgingly agreed the apartment was nice, the furniture adequate, and my son's haircut, atrocious. We've had a nice time showing her the 'hood. She was especially impressed with the grocery store.

You have to be a Jew from a small Jewish community to get the significance of the whole grocery store thing. The kosher grocery section, deli, sushi, and Chinese take-out are quite impressive for a San Antonio Jew. Of course, I have yet to find decent kosher breakfast tacos here. I have to admit, though, that I'll trade those breakfast tacos for kosher moo goo gai pan any day. I don't exactly know what moo goo gai pan is, but I know I can make my own tacos.

My son turns 7 in two days. In San Antonio, this usually marks the beginning of the school year. Here, it's just another excuse to eat out at yet another kosher restaurant!

My husband is making up goofy lullabies for the baby right now. I sang her my six song repetoire, passed her to my mom who hummed for half an hour, and now Daddy is taking a shot at it. The kids are totally off schedule, and although we're trying to get them to bed in a timely manner (before their 8 pm meltdown), we're failing miserably. Part of the problem is that my son has given up his room for grandma. No, we're not making her sleep up on his loft, she's sacking-out on the mattress on the floor. So, my son is in his sisters' room, and he and my Dora look-alike keep each other up like teens on a slumber party. It's lucky for her she's so cute. I need order, routine, and set bedtimes or I'm going to wig out.

Of course, there's bound to be yet another kosher food solution to that, as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home