Wednesday, August 30, 2006

First day

Today was my son's first day of school, and my day to drive the carpool there. We packed up his backpack and lunch the night before, and woke up extra early to get ready. He dressed smartly in khaki pants and a short-sleeved button down blue shirt. He was so handsome! I loaded my son into his booster seat, his sisters into their car seats, and headed off clutching directions, names, addresses and phone numbers. I was terrified of getting lost on my first day!

My son's adorable 2nd grade friend was the first to be picked up, in her mis-buttoned strawberry raincoat and uneven piggytails. I could have eaten her up! Then we picked up a good natured 5th grade girl, followed by another 5th grader. He got stuck sitting between the baby who was trying to bite him and my 4-year old who wouldn't stop talking nonsensically the whole way to school. I couldn't stop grinning. Six excited, sweet kids in my minivan. I should paint this thing yellow.

I dropped my son off with an embarrassing hug and kiss, and a love note in his lunch bag. He looked so grown up.

After depositing the carpoolers at the school, I dragged my girls to Walmart to pick up more school supplies. I got us hopelessly lost trying to find my daughter's nursery school, but we got their just in time. They had an interesting orientation procedure. The class was divided into three groups. Each group had a set 45-minute time period to check out the classroom, meet the teachers, and meet some of their classmates. We were in the class with a little boy and a set of triplets. My little lady introduced herself, painted a beautiful picture, and kept herself entertained.

Meanwhile, the baby made herself a new friend. While big sister kept mostly to herself, the other little singlet in her class played house with my baby, making her a little meal in the pretend kitchen, which she obligingly pretended to eat. At least, I think she was pretending. It was the most remarkable thing I have seen. I didn't know the little teether actually interacted with other children, especially older boys. She's already got them serving her dinner! Should I be worried?

I also met some more cool moms. One interesting note: one of my daughter's teachers is an Argentinian-born Israeli. I'm hoping she'll encourage my little girl to continue learning Spanish. The rest of the day was my typical battle of wills with my independent, hard-headed angel and wrestling to keep the baby on solid ground. Thank G-D one of them will be starting nursery school tomorrow!

I bought a new bread machine today! I'll be happy to bake my own challah's again. I feel so indulgent buying challah at a store. Here in Chicago they come in all different brands and types. I'm not even sure what some of them are, but I've been trying a new one each week. I'm getting spoiled rotten. Challah baking has become a part of bringing in shabbat for me. I have my whole-wheat recipe down pat, and my four strand braid looking quite professional. And, of course, I LOVE saying, why, yes! I did bake it!

At 4:15 pm, the girls and I ran downstairs to meet the school bus my son will be taking home each day. The bright-eyed, big smile on his face was absolutely priceless. It said everything I needed to know about his first day.

My husband came home for dinner. His smile wasn't quite as big, but I can tell he's exactly where he wants to and needs to be. He's started his homework and reading assignments, already, and the semester doesn't officially start until the next Tuesday. It's nice of them to ease us into the salt mines.

As always, finding a job is in the back of my mind. Waaaay in the back!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home