Monday, June 05, 2006

One step closer

I am in my office late at night taking a break from grading. There are only so many papers I can read without losing my professional demeanor and positive perspective. In other words, if I read one more horribly mangled and misspelled cliche I will bash my head into the corner of my desk to end my misery. Actually, they're not that bad, but they do start to blend into one indistinguishable discussion of childhood obesity. And quite frankly, while I'm slouching in my office chair, guzzling a non-diet soda and snacking on goodies loaded with artery clogging hydrogenated machine oil and sugar, obesity is the last thing I want to be thinking about.

On a happier note, we have a contract on our house! I say "happy", but in fact I really mean relieved. It's our first home. We helped design it, picked out the paints, tiles, and carpets, and watched it being built. We know all of our neighbors. On a breezy afternoon, when the sun is starting to veer off behind the trees, all of the kids in the neighborhood are out in the street playing basketball in my driveway, racing about on scooters, bikes, and tricycles, or burying my garden tools in the sandpit next door. On Shabbat everyone is dressed up, pushing babies in strollers past my windows. It's hard to be thrilled about leaving my little corner of Eden, but selling my house is one less thing to worry about.

Speaking of hordes of little tykes on trikes, school is out, and the marauding mass of midgets is on the loose! Panicked parents are anxiously awaiting the first day of summer camp. My poor husband and parents have their hands full while I seek refuge in my office.

I've started teaching my last class at the university. Oddly, I'm teaching the same class I was hired to teach 6 years ago and haven't taught for the last 5. I've come full circle. Of course, the first time I taught this class I had 10 students. This semester I have 90. I'm also a bit better at this teaching thing. Walking into a teaching auditorium with a class full of bored looking students doesn't fill me with terror the way it used to. In fact, I'm going to miss these sweet, snarky kids. They've grown on me.

Speaking of snarky kids, their obesity essays aren't grading themselves!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home