Friday, June 30, 2006

Bricks and figs

I am happy to announce that the mission was successful. We have found a place to live in Chicago. It's a quaint three bedroom, one and a half bath flat on a nice, quiet street. It's not the palatial, bright, hard-wood floored place I was hoping for. We actually did see that apartment, but it was a bit off the beaten path and already in high demand. But we've found a lovely place, nonetheless. With some luck and effort, we'll make a nice home for ourselves there.

The process was completely overwhelming. The first few places we looked at were so dumpy, and I was discouraged. It was really hard to look out a window and see a brick wall five feet away. It was even worse walking into a kitchen and not seeing any counter space. I am so spoiled by my enormous kitchen and my fruit trees.

By the way, the figs are ripe and fabulous, and the grapes and pears are on their way. I hope they ripen before we leave!

I hope I ripen to the idea of urban living. The buzzing energy and drama of city life were so appealing to me when I was in my twenties. As a mom of three I have so much more to worry about with crowded, busy streets, strangers, crime, and of course, the ever present threat of hypothermia. I wonder if I'll be able to carve out a quiet, calm, warm haven for myself and my family in such a densely populated place.

I also think about how my children are bound to adapt to their new environs. But I'll save that worry for another time.